Please take care of your new piece of art!
Initial Tattoo Care and Cleaning Steps:
- Leave the bandage that you received after the tattoo for 2-4 hours.
- The bandage is there to keep air-borne bacteria and other contaminants in the environment from invading your wound.
- Before cleaning or touching the tattooed areas, WASH HANDS thoroughly with soap and warm water.
Treat your new tattoo as an open wound.
- Carefully remove the bandage.
- Cleanse the area with mild anti-bacterial soap and water then rinse.
- Do not scrub the tattoo or rub with washcloth or towel.
- Pat the tattoo with a clean, dry towel.
- Let the tattoo dry completely.
- Lightly apply a thin layer of acceptable aftercare products:
Vitamin A & D ointment
- DO NOT RE-BANDAGE!
Ongoing Tattoo Care for healing tattoo-Approximately Days 1-5:
- Keep tattoo very clean.
- Apply ointment 3-4 times a day.
- First clean off any old ointment.
- Apply a thin layer of fresh ointment – (only enough to make the skin shiny).
- Do not allow your tattoo to become dry.
- If scab does form, DO NOT pick at it, allow it to heal on it's own.
NOTE: Once the pain and redness are gone from the tattoo you can switch to the instructions for Days 6-14.
Ongoing Tattoo Care for healing tattoo-Approximately Days 6-14:
- Continue to keep tattoo clean.
- Apply a fragrance free lotion or gentle moisturizer as needed until completely healed.
- First clean off any old lotion sweat, or dirt.
- Apply a thin layer of fresh lotion – working it into the skin.
- It is best to use a moisturizer with aloe or vitamin E as this will help heal damaged skin.
- Regularly moisturizing a tattoo helps to keep the skin soft and keep the colors bright.
- Healing generally takes 14 days in a normal healthy adult.
- As it heals, expect peeling similar to sunburned skin.
- Itching, scabs and flaking are expected. DO NOT SCRATCH THE TATTOO!
- No swimming or prolonged exposure to the sun or water until the tattoo is fully healed.
Things to remember:
- Try to wear loose fitting clothing until tattoo heals.
- Do not pick at the scabs or flaking skin.
- Do not tan
- Do not swim or spend time soaking tattoo in a tub
- Do not shave or wax area until tattoo is healed.
- Do not use Vaseline or other petroleum jellies, heavily medicated antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, iodine, peroxide, or alcohol based product.
- Do not use sunscreen or fragrant lotions until tattoo is healed.
During the healing process, if you experience severe discomfort in the tattoo area, it becomes bright red, puffy, oozes puss, and is accompanied by heat you may have an infection and should seek immediate medical treatment.